Apple introduced Face ID with iPhone X, and the feature has been tweaked with improvements every year since then. But since the pandemic in 2020, the TrueDepth camera sensors have had difficulty unlocking our iPhones thanks to the face masks we became accustomed to wearing.
If you’re an Apple user through and through, though, then you’re in luck because I’ll teach you how to unlock your iPhone with your Apple Watch to make your life easier.
Apple introduced this feature in iOS 14.5, which lets you unlock your iPhone with your Apple watch when your face is covered up or in other situations when your face ID isn’t working properly.
How to unlock your iPhone with your Apple Watch
Before we show you how to activate the feature, remember that you can only unlock your iPhone with your Apple watch if these conditions are met:
- Face ID on your iPhone detects that you’re wearing a mask
- Your Apple Watch is nearby, on your wrist, and has a passcode enabled on it
Now follow these steps to enable unlock iPhone with Apple Watch:
- Tap the Setting app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down, and choose Face ID and Passcode.
- Log in with your Passcode.
- Scroll down, and toggle on Apple Watch under the Unlock with Apple Watch section.
Unlock your iPhone with a flick of the wrist
Unlocking with Apple Watch is still very handy even if you aren’t wearing a facemask. With a simple flick of the wrist, you can unlock your iPhone, and even if you unlocked it unintentionally, you could lock your iPhone with your Apple watch.